-
May 31st, 2005, 05:04 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I just got to thinking about how a lot of people are upset over the idea of changing Elizabeth's hair and eye color and boycotting the doll or writing letters, etc. Sorry, but I honestly don't think it will do any good. Not that we shouldn't express our dislikes to AG, but I don't think they will change the doll because of it, instead however, they may think twice about the release of future dolls with such vast changes.
It made me think about the Marisol controversy over Pilsen, etc, and all the outrage, national news coverage, endless printed articles, etc, and yet, Mattel did NOT change anything about Marisol or her story while under pressure from the public. That is why I don't think they will change Elizabeth over her hair and eye color.
I'm also thinking that the non-collecting AG public will think the same thing about people protesting the Elizabeth doll as the Pilsen issue, that it's ridiculous to put that much effort into protesting a doll. It is a small thing to worry about considering the world's larger problems.
Laurie
-
May 31st, 2005, 05:14 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I agree with you, it is a small thing. I just think people's interest in all this is a reflection of what AG represents to them. Some of the decisions AG made recently, especially regarding Felicity, gave people good cause to worry about what was happening to AG and to express their concerns in the hope of getting Mattel to respect the solid foundation Rowland had laid.
I may or may not buy the new Elizabeth. I passed on Marisol but I've always been more into the historical dolls anyway. I also already have an Elizabeth (brown-haired, brown-eyed) so it would be easy for me to pass again.
-
May 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I am sure AG won't change Elizabeth, no matter what people do. By this point the Elizabeth dolls are already in production and I'm sure the ship has sailed as far as changing anything. Besides, if they are so determined to make her blonde, I doubt any initial negative feedback would deter them anyway.
And, I don't think there will be a huge outcry over a blonde Elizabeth anyway. From what I've seen here, the only people that care are people who grew up with Felicity and her books, or people who care about her line following what has already been established in the books. Most people just want a pretty doll, or they want Felicity to finally get some attention. The majority of people here seem to be planning to get Elizabeth anyway, even if she is blonde. There won't be any huge protest like for Marisol. The people that protested her weren't even AG fans or doll collectors, and those are the only people who would care about Elizabeth being blonde. I'm sure the doll will sell well and the number of disappointed letters AG receives will be a drop in the bucket compared to the sales they'll get from little girls who don't know or don't care about the books.
And believe me, I know there are more important things in the world than a doll's hair color. My dolls are not the main focus of my life and my disappointment over Elizabeth is not something that keeps me awake at night. However, this is a doll board. This is a place to talk about what we like and don't like about AG, not about the "more important" things in the world. If people want to come here and forget the more serious issues in their lives and complain about more trivial things, like a doll, who cares? I don't think any of the disappointed people here are planning a large scale protest, but there's nothing wrong with expressing disgust over a decision made by AG at a community designed to discuss AG.
-
May 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Katie,
I agree with your comments about this being a doll board and of course, people here will have opinions about the dolls that they love so much. All I'm saying, is that I think they should write a letter to AG to complain if they feel strongly about it, but that I just don't think it will do much good.
Believe me, I also come here for a break from my real world troubles and worries!
Laurie
-
May 31st, 2005, 05:33 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I agree that there is nothing to be done now. I still think it's wrong that they changed Elizabeth, but I bet the sales will still be excellent. It's a shame, really. It is still great that they will be making new outfits for that time period.
-
May 31st, 2005, 05:43 PM
#6
ponydreamer
Guest
I know for a fact that my little nieces are going to jump all over Elizabeth. They'll love her, no matter what her hair color.
I'll buy her....unless she really doesn't appeal to me. I doubt that will happen, though.
I am disappointed, but only slightly so. And I agree with everyone....it's too late to do anything about Elizabeth. And the marketing "experts" don't truly care what we think anyway.
-
May 31st, 2005, 06:02 PM
#7
Inactive Member
From Katie:
And believe me, I know there are more important things in the world than a doll's hair color. My dolls are not the main focus of my life and my disappointment over Elizabeth is not something that keeps me awake at night. However, this is a doll board. This is a place to talk about what we like and don't like about AG, not about the "more important" things in the world. If people want to come here and forget the more serious issues in their lives and complain about more trivial things, like a doll, who cares? I don't think any of the disappointed people here are planning a large scale protest, but there's nothing wrong with expressing disgust over a decision made by AG at a community designed to discuss AG.
I couldnt agree more. Thats exactly how I feel. And I agree to that complaining wont do anything. I never thought that it would either. I just think it is good for AG to know how we feel. If AG is going to try to be a company that markets to what people want, then they need good feedback as well as negative.
I know there are more imporant things in life, and Ive had a series of very serious family crisis lately (I made a brief comment earlier on one of my uncles having a heartattack and this is only one of recent unfortuante events) but I do not bring this to the board. If some people want to discuss personal issues and offer prayers and such that is fine. I will be here for support and think of them and their families. This is after all a community of friends. I choose to keep the more personal matters to myself because I am a private person. And these ARE issues that keep me up at night.
To me this is a doll board where I can go vent frustrations about something to people who will actually understand it. My boyfriend certainly wouldnt understand getting upset over a dolls hair color. However people here do. IMO complaining about a doll has far more do with this board then talking about family issues. Especially since I have heard moderators complain about too many off topic conversations. Its not that I dont care for those who are facing troubles, I just think that if this is a doll board where we cant complain about dolls because it seems 'too trivial', then we need to keep the purpose of this board in check. To me, this IS a break from real life. I dont want to be reminded of it when Im enjoying this board.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 31, 2005 03:07 PM: Message edited by: shortie421 ]</font>
-
May 31st, 2005, 06:21 PM
#8
Inactive Member
We are excited here at our house about Elizabeth, and about Felicity's return to (we hope) the catalogue. I agree that this is a doll board and a place for people to express their disappointment with the doll, but their has been sooo much negativity associated with her, I even read a post about her "drugged out blue eyes". I mean really most of us haven't even seen her yet. I feel bad for the people that are disappointed with this decision, but I am still looking forward to her.
And I for one like to hear about OT stuff sometimes, especially when it pertains to issues that I myself may be going through with my kids, etc. Or just plain interesting stuff like horses having babies. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
May 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM
#9
Inactive Member
What refreshing comments! It's fun to escape to doll world for a little while.
It will be interesting to see how this is all handled from the AG end of things. I'm also curious on how they see each pair of girl & friend dolls...who is in line to be released next and what do those prototypes look like?
As far as controversy & the news, I think they like the publicity. People end up reading the book or watching a controversial movie, just to have an opinion on it. So whoever is selling, comes out great, despite the reviews.
Michele
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks